The value of gravestone inscriptions for ancestral research has long been recognised. The discovery of a single gravestone may provide more information on the history of a family than could otherwise be gleaned from hours of searching through documentary sources.
With the virtual absence of burial registers and the relatively recent date of baptismal and marriage registers, gravestones are an often unique source of genealogical information for the seventeenth to early nineteenth centuries.
The importance of gravestone inscriptions as a research tool cannot be overstated and as many of you will be aware the Foundation recently re-published two titles in our Gravestone Inscription series, Old Families of Carrickfergus and Ballynure and Old Families of Larne & District
These publications continue to sell well and we would just like to remind our Guild members and friends of the Foundation that other volumes in this series are still available at Our Bookstore for only £7.50 each!
Volumes Relating to Belfast
- Gravestone Inscriptions Vol. 1 – Shankill Graveyard
- Gravestone Inscriptions Vol. 3 – Balmoral Cemetery, Friends’ Burial Ground and Malone Presbyterian Church
Volumes Relating to County Down
- Gravestone Inscriptions Vol. 2 – Baileysmill, Boardmills; Dundonald, Killaney, Knockbreda, Legacurry
- Gravestone Inscriptions Vol. 5 – Blaris, Comber, Kilmood and Killinchy
- Gravestone Inscriptions Vol. 18 – Annahilt, Eglantine, Hillsborough, Moira
- Gravestone Inscriptions Vol. 20 – The Heart of Downe: Banbridge, Gilford, Magherally area
- Gravestone Inscriptions Vol. 21 – Old Families of Newry and District
A Note for Our Guild Members
As Guild members of the Ulster Historical Foundation you also have free access to over 50,000 gravestone inscriptions from over 800 graveyards in the six counties of Northern Ireland - Antrim, Armagh, Derry/Londonderry, Down, Fermanagh and Tyrone. These records are available at Our Website
These records are also available to non-guild members at the same address on a Pay-Per-View basis.
Old Church Graveyard Series
The Old Church Graveyard series by family historian Dorothy Arthur offers a wealth of information for genealogists interested in the County Antrim area. Each of these titles contains maps, photographs and family trees of the families buried in the various graveyards.
- Ballymoney Old Church Graveyard
- St. Patrick's Parish Church Graveyard, Ballymoney
- Kilraughts Old Church Graveyard
- Derrykeighan Old Church Graveyard
Also Available on Booksireland.org.uk