An Educational Charity | Charity Reg. No. NIC100280
+44 (028) 9066 1988 | enquiry@uhf.org.uk
Charitable Objectives

Tenants on the Blackwood Estate in County Down, 1741

Search Records

This database is based on a transcript of an Exchequer Bill of 28 April 1741 involving Robert Blackwood of Ballyleedy [Ballyleidy, Bangor parish], Co. Down, esquire. It was copied by Tenison Groves and may be found in his collection of genealogical notes in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (T/808/15009).

The document names 274 tenants on the Blackwood estate, but unfortunately does not place them in specific townlands. The townlands named in the document belonging to Blackwood (with suggested modern spellings and parish locations) were:

  • Cherryvalley [Comber ?]
  • Ringrevy [Ringcreevy, Comber]
  • Littleballyhenry [Ballyhenry Minor, Comber]
  • Barnymackry [Barnamaghery, Killinchy]
  • Troopersfield [Comber]
  • Raffrey [Killinchy]
  • Maghernycrosse alias Magherycoyle [?]
  • Ballykile [?]
  • Lislee [Lisleen, Comber]
  • Monerea [Moneyreagh, Comber]
  • Monlough [Comber]
  • Ballybeen [Comber | Dundonald]
  • Tullyhubbert [Comber]
  • Adnislate [?]
  • Tullygirvan [Tullygarvan?, Comber]
  • Ballycloghan [Holywood or Killinchy]
  • Ballygowan [found in six parishes including Comber]
These are just some of the organisations we have worked with, click here to view the full list
Registered with The Charity Commission for Northern Ireland NIC100280