The Mater Hospital is today one of Belfast's leading hospitals. It first opened in 1883 in premises on the Crumlin Road known as Bedeque House. The need for additional patient accommodation was apparent early on and in 1894 moves to build a new hospital were formally initiated. The new hospital was officially opened on 23 April 1900 by the Lord Mayor of Belfast with a large crowd in attendance.
From Mater Infirmorum Hospital Publications, compiled by William Hull.