Treat yourself and family or friends to a day exploring Ulster Historical Foundation’s research library and have exclusive access to the knowledge of our team. This will include our senior research staff - Dr William Roulston (Research Director), Gillian Hunt (Research Officer), and Fintan Mullan (Executive Director). Where appropriate, we can also draw on the skills of our experienced genealogical researchers to deliver the programme you want.
The Foundation will tailor the day to suit your needs, research interests and level of experience.
What's Does A Day at Ulster Historical Foundation involve ?
Ideal for groups of between 4 to 6 people, our 'A Day at Ulster Historical Foundation' research experience offers you the chance to spend a day researching with, and learning from, our hugely experienced research team. You will be able to engage in a day exploring our research library, guided by our seasoned researchers who will provide extensive one-to-one personalized advice and assistance.
This tailored experience promises a deep connection to your roots, providing you with a profound understanding of your past.
Included in this day:
- Six hours (10am - 4pm, Monday - Friday) at our Genealogy Hub and Research Library in Kiltonga, Newtownards where you will be able to spend the day looking at valuable resources, receive personalized recommendations for titles to benefit your research
- Access to all the resources of our research library, including books, journals, and digital resources (on ulsterhistoricalfoundation.com).
- Access via the Foundation's own subscriptions to www.rootsireland.ie during your visit
- A one-on-one consultation for each member of your group which can last up to 1.5 hours with our Research Officer or Research Director
- Guidance from our team to help you browse the library and identify resources that may help you with your research
- One-to-one advice from our team as you use the library facilities (in addition to your guaranteed individual consultation)
- Access for your group to three recorded presentations prior to your visit, selected by you from our full list of recordings, to help prepare you to make the best use of your time at the Foundation (summary of topics can be found here *Link to summary*)
- Access to our online library catalogue prior to your visit to enable you to identify materials you may wish to use. Don’t worry if you ‘cannot see the woods for the trees’ our team will be there to guide you during the day too
- Optional opportunity to avail of up to two other presentations delivered by Gillian, William or Fintan during your day at Ulster Historical Foundation
- Discounts on publications you may wish to purchase during your visit
- Free wifi or wired connection will be available in the library for you to access your own family history notes and online services (eg your Ancestry family tree builder account)
- A discount coupon to use for one of the Foundation’s other research services and programmes; for example, a discounted rate to participate in our online Genealogy Essentials Courses. Register for any of our upcoming courses for £329.99 (Full price £374.99)
The Foundation's research library
Our Research Library is an excellent resource for anyone conducting genealogical and historical research. Our collections are particularly strong on genealogical research guides, printed and published family histories, and church, parish and congregational histories. We also have extensive collections of gravestone inscriptions, both published and unpublished, and books on migration and the diaspora. In addition our Volunteer and Training suite has an extensive collection of the Belfast Newsletter for the period c.1955 to 1998, plus a complete collection of the books published by the Foundation from 1966 to present.
What do you need to know?
Our team will welcome your group (max. six individuals) to the Foundation’s offices and will provide you with an overview of the library resources (and those in the volunteer/training suite on the ground floor).
If you have selected an in-person presentation(s) as part of your day, the first presentation will then be held.
Our Research Officer or Research Director will then begin the one-to-one consultations with each member of the group in turn, the consults can last anything up to 1.5 hours per person.
While the individual consultations are ongoing, the Foundation’s staff will also be with you in the library to identify resources.
Online resources and databases will also be used to assist you, plus you will have access to our office scanning and photocopying facility for the duration of the visit.
What you might hope to get out of this day?
- An opportunity to assess where you are with your family history
- The opportunity to pursue your family history with other family members and enjoy a shared experience
- Learn about new sources you could follow up on in the archives
- With the help of our team leave us with a 'to do list' for PRONI or other archives you might be visiting on your trip
- Discuss your options for further research and the chances of success
Who is the 'Experience' aimed at?
This Experience will benefit the novice and experienced researcher alike. We will frame the day to best suit your needs and interests. It could be especially useful for individuals who have attended the Foundation's previous family history conferences or research programmes and who wish to return to Belfast and Dublin to undertake further research on your own (or with a small group of friends). Our 'Day at the Foundation' can help as a refresher or preparatory work before 'hitting' the archives, or ideal as a midway break point in your visit to the archives, re-energising you with fresh ideas for going back to PRONI for the rest of the week.
*** Perfect Gift Idea This Winter***
It can also make a perfect experiential gift for family and friends. Rather than the typical Christmas hamper or a pair of socks we hope our Day at Ulster Historical Foundation might just be the perfect present for a family member or friend to show that you appreciate them ... and a great way to connect as a family over your shared family story.
Sign up for a day of exploration, where every document tells a story, and each consultation unveils a new chapter in your family's legacy.
- For groups of 2-3 people, the cost is £324.99.
- For groups of 4-6 people, the cost is £599.99.
For Guild members wanting to avail of this service, please contact: email@example.com to obtain a special membership discount.